This committee is responsible to the URC for the conduct of all research involving animals by performing the following duties and functions: -
- To protect animal welfare by minimizing excessive thirst and hunger, pain and injury, fear and distress, and allowing animals to express their natural behaviour.
- To minimize the number of animals used in research by replacing the animals (whenever possible) with other alternatives.
- To improve the techniques engaged during research.
- To minimize the impact of the animal and public consciences.
The ACUC comprises at least four (4) persons, each of whom is appointed to represent one of the following categories:
- A trained practising veterinarian with experience in the biological and clinical characteristics of the species of animals used.
- A qualified person or scientific researcher with appropriate experience in the use of animals for scientific purposes.
- A lawyer or an advocate who has knowledge and experience in animal ethics and other related matters.
- A non-scientific person representing the general community who is not affiliated in any way with the IIUM and not a member of the immediate family of a person who is affiliated with the IIUM.
- An expert in the relevant research area, preferably from a scientific background, experienced with animal handling, and holds a senior position within the IIUM shall be the Chairman of the ACUC.
- RMC is the Secretariat for the ACUC