This committee is responsible to the URC for the conduct of all research involving humans and human samples by performing the following duties and functions: -
- To ensure that the research conforms with proper guidelines for human rights, compliance with the law, conflict of interest, safety, and health;
- To protect the University against potential legal implications due to unethical conduct in research involving humans; To care for vulnerable individuals who need additional protection during research;
- To ensure that IIUM research conforms with any legal and regulatory requirements.
Members of the IREC shall comprise the following: -
- A minimum of eight (8), and a maximum of twelve (12) members. The membership is an equitable representation including academicians, clinicians, scientists, non-scientists, members of the community, a lawyer/expert in ethics, a social worker/layperson/teacher/a religious scholar
- The committee will consist of a Chairperson, an alternate chairperson, a secretariat, and 7-12 active members who represent an appropriate balance of professional, ethical, legal, cultural, educational, spiritual, and community interests.
- The IREC is constituted according to the requirements of the University.
- An expert in the relevant research area, preferably from Medical background, shall be the Chairman of the IREC.
- The RMC shall provide the Secretary and the Secretariat for the IREC.
Visit IIUM RESEARCH ETHICS COMMITTEE for more information.